Everyone loves a good, home-cooked meal, but you won’t always have time to spend slaving away in the kitchen after your eight-hour job. You can save yourself a couple of hours on busy week days by buying yourself a slow cooker. Still, a slow cooker will be useless unless you have a collection tasty recipes on hand. The following recipes are guaranteed to have your mouth watering as soon as you arrive home.
1. BBQ Chicken
This recipe is ridiculously easy. Just put on a pot of green beans and corn on the stove when you get home and you’ll have a wonderful meal.
1 pkg (2-3 lbs) of any kind of frozen chicken parts
1 bottle of any flavor BBQ sauce
- Place frozen chicken in crock pot and pour all of the BBQ sauce onto the chicken.
- Pour a little water into the BBQ bottle, shake it up, and pour the mixture into the crock pot.
- Cook chicken on high until high, about 6 hours. The chicken can be served immediately and any leftovers can be frozen.
Who doesn’t like Chili? It’s a versatile dinner that can be served on stormy nights or during outdoor cookouts. If you love chili, you should add this easy recipe to your recipe box.
2lb lean ground beef
1c chopped onion
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes
2 can (16oz) chili beans in sauce
1 can (15oz) tomato sauce
2tbs chili powder
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
- In a medium skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, or until the beef is brown.
- Drain the mixture and pour it into a 4-5-quart crockpot. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours.
3. Salmon Casserole
This is a quick and easy alternative to cooking fish over a skillet.
3 1/2c water
3 (6oz) cans of salmon
2c white rice
1 (10.75oz) can cream of chicken soup
1 (10.75oz) can cream of broccoli soup
1 tbs dill weed
1 tsp lemon pepper
1 1/2c frozen peas
- Stir everything but the peas together in your slow cooker.
- Cook on high for two hours.
- Stir the peas into the salmon mixture and continue cooking for 1 more hour.
4. Lemon Garlic Chicken
This light and airy Italian-inspired meal is a treat to come home to. Your entire family will love it.
1tsp dried oregano
1/4tsp ground black pepper
1 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2tbs lemon juice
2 cloves minced garlic
1tsp chicken bouillon granules
1tsp chopped fresh parsley
- Mix oregano, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Rub the mixture into the chicken.
- Melt butter into a skillet and brown chicken for 3-5 minutes on each side. Place chicken in the slow cooker.
- Mix the water, lemon juice, garlic, and bouillon in the same skillet. Bring to a boil before pouring the mixture over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours. Add the parsley to the slow cooker 15-30 minutes before serving.
5. Clam Chowder
You have never tasted clam chowder like this! You can serve this recipe by itself or with oyster crackers. Try adding some vegetables for a fresher taste.
2 (6.5oz) cans minced clams
1 (10.75) can condensed cream of celery soup
1 (10.75) can condensed cream of potato soup
1 (10.75) can New England clam chowder
1qt half-and-half cream
1pt heavy whipping cream
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Drain one can of claims.
- Combine all of the ingredients together in your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 minutes.
6. Apple Cobbler
We’ve come to the best part of any recipe list: the desserts! This recipe for crockpot apple cobbler melts on the tongue. We say that the ice cream is optional…but it’s really not!
6c sliced and peeled apples
2/4tsp ground cinnamon
1 box yellow cake mix
1/2c cubed butter
Optional toppings: whipped cream, ice cream
- Spray a large slow cooker with cooking spray before adding the apple slices, sugar, and ½ tsp of cinnamon.
- Mix the dry cake mix and the remaining cinnamon together in a large bowl.
- Cut the butter until they resemble small peas using a pastry blender or two small knives. Dump the butter onto the apple mixture.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 ½ – 3 hours, or until the fruit is bubbling and the top of the cobbler is golden brown. Serve immediately.
7. Salisbury Steak
This slow cooker variation of a classic recipe is simple to die for!
2lbs lean ground beef
1oz Italian seasoned bread crumbs
2tbs vegetable oil
2 cans (10.75 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup
1oz packet dry au jus mix
- Use your hands to mix the ground beef, onion soup mix, bread crumbs, and milk together in a large bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Dredge the patties in flour and brown them on both sides.
- Place the browned patties into the slow cooker, stacking them like a pyramid.
- Mix the cream of chicken soup, au jus mix, and water together in another bowl and pour the mixture over the meat.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours, or until the meat is well done.
8. Pork Chops
Your family will love these tender and delicious pork chops. Your mouth will definitely be watering before they even hit the table.
6 boneless pork chops
1/4c brown sugar
1tsp ground ginger
1/2c soy sauce
2 cloves crushed garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place pork chops in slow cooker.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and pour the mixture over the pork chops.
- Cook on low for 6 hours. The internal temperature of the meat should be 145 degrees F.
9. Beef Pot Roast
This hearty beef recipe will make your guests rave about your cooking for weeks.
1 5lb bone-in beef pot roast
1tbs flour, or as needed
2tbs vegetable oil
8oz sliced mushrooms
1 medium chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 ½ tbs flour
1 tbs tomato paste
2 ½c chicken broth
3 medium carrots
2 stalks celery
1 sprig fresh rosemary
2 springs fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
- Season both sides of roast with salt and pepper. Coat both sides with flour.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet. Sear both sides of the roast for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until browned.
- Cook the meat for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the onions and cook for 5 minutes, or until they begin to brown. Add garlic and stir for another minute.
- Stir in 1 ½tbs flour and cook for another minute, stirring. Add the tomato paste and cook for another minute.
- Slowly stir in the chicken broth and return the mixture to a simmer. Then remove the skillet from the heat.
- Cut the carrots and celery into chunks and place them into the slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 5-6 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Before serving, skim off any fat from the surface, remove the bones, and season with salt and pepper.
10. Chocolate Lava Cake
If you love chocolate, you have to try this recipe. Be warned, however, it is easy to become addicted to this cake.
1 pkg chocolate cake mix, and all of the ingredients listed on the box
1 small pkg instant chocolate pudding mix, and all of the ingredients listed on the box
1 (12oz) pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips
Optional toppings: Ice cream, whipped topping, nuts, cherries, etc.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the instructions on the box. Pour the batter into the slow cooker.
- Prepare the pudding mix according to the instructions on the box. Pour pudding over the cake batter.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of the batter.
- Cook the mixture on high for 3-3 ½ hours, or until the cake is moist and you can see small bubbles on the top.
- Scoop out the cake and serve immediately with your choice of toppings.
11. Apples with Cinnamon and Brown Sugar
Curve your sweet tooth cravings with this heavenly recipe for sugary apples.
4 medium tart, cored baking apples
1/4c regular rolled oats
2tbs packed brown sugar
1 tbs butter
½ tsp ground cinnamon
2/3c apple juice
- Line a 5-6-quart slow cooker. Place apples in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Combine the oats, raisins, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Spoon this mixture into the center of the cored apples. Pat it down with the back of a spoon or a spatula. Cube the butter and place the cubes on top of each apple.
- Pour the apple juice around the apples.
- Cover and cook for 3 hours on low. Than transfer the apples to a serving container and drizzle with the liquid remaining in the slow cooker.
12. Vegetarian Chili
Again, who doesn’t love chili? This recipe is perfect for the vegetarian in your life who likes having a warm pot of chili on the table.
1 can (19oz) black bean soup
1 can (15oz) kidney beans
1 can (15oz) garbanzo beans
1 can (160z) vegetarian baked beans
1 can (14.5 oz) chopped tomatoes in puree
1 can (15oz) whole kernel corn
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green bell pepper
2 stalks chopped celery
2 cloves chopped garlic
1tbs chili powder, or to taste
1tbs dried parsley
1tbs dried oregano
1tbs dried basil
- In a slow cooker, combine black bean soup, all of the beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, bell pepper, and celery.
- Season with garlic, chili powder, parsley, oregano, and basil.
- Cook for at least two hours on high.
13. Strawberry Scoop Cake
Enjoy this lip smacking dessert as you prepare for spring and summer.
1 (21oz) can strawberry pie filling
1 (18.25oz) pkg strawberry cake mix
1/2c melted butter
1/2c white chocolate baking pieces
Optional toppings: whipped cream, chopped nuts
- Place the pie filling into a 3 ¼-4-quart slow cooker.
- Combine the dry cake mix and butter and sprinkle the crumbly mixture over the pie filling.
- Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours.
- Sprinkle the chocolate pieces over the mixture and serve immediately.
14. Cheeseburger Soup
This filling soup is best served with bread on a cold night. This is a perfect recipe if you want all the taste of a cheeseburger without having to go out and get one.
1lb ground beef
3/4c chopped onion
3/4c shredded carrots
3/4c chopped celery
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried parsley
4tbs butter, divided
3c chicken broth
4c diced potatoes
2c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2c milk
¾ tsp salt, or to taste
¼ tsp pepper, or to taste
1/4 c sour cream
Optional toppings: bread bits, green onions, bacon bits, etc.
- In your crock pot, add potatoes, onion, celery, carrots, parsley, and basil.
- Pour chicken broth over the mixture and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.
- 30 minutes before it’s done, cook the ground beef in a medium saucepan.
- Remove the meat and melt butter in the pan. Add flour and cook until bubbly.
- Add the salt, pepper, milk, and sour cream to the saucepan and stir.
- Finally, add the cream mixture, cheese, and ground beef to the crockpot. Stir and continue to cook until the cheese is melted. Serve with optional toppings.
15. Bananas Foster
This classic recipe will leave you anticipating nothing. Serve with vanilla ice cream for an additional treat!
5 peeled and sliced bananas
4tbs melted butter
1c packed brown sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
1/2tsp ground cinnamon
1/4c chopped walnuts
1/4c shredded coconut
- Layer the sliced bananas in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon in a bowl. Pour the mixture over the bananas.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 hours.
- Top the bananas with walnuts and shredded coconut during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Serve immediately while it’s warm.